In Law or In Love?

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Have not been on line for a few days because we had (and still have) no power!   I miss my home! We are fortunate enough to pack a quick bag and stay at Gramma and Bumpa's house the next town over.  Nothing like just hanging out and not having to do anything around the house because you can't, guilt free relaxing!   Unlike many of my girlfriends I happen to LOVE LOVE LOVE my in-laws.   My father in law, is the nicest man I know and my mother-in-law has become a great friend, I am blessed to have these special people in my life.   We refer to their home as "The Yellow Dog" (like a bed and breakfast)--named after their golden retrievers.  When we were engaged, we would be out looking at houses every Sunday (love doing that) and we would come home to the "Yellow Dog" and have cocktails with them, sharing our experiences (which were different every Sunday) -- they loved being part of the experience of seeing us start our life together; planning a wedding, buying a home and a promising future together as we had such a spark together which everyone loved (our relationship was like a romantic comedy, and my in-laws loved watching our episode each week).  So the yellow dog became a refuge for us, there were many dinners "at the dog".  We often would have dinner "downstairs at the dog" which we described as "casual fireside dining".  They would have us sit down on the couch, fire going, and deliver dinner on trays (are you kidding me)!  I would often stay the night and woola, breakfast on a tray, with a flower in vase!!!  We often laugh because 3 kids later and grandparents now 12+ years older, the flower on the tray is just a memory!  
Back then, we had interesting conversations, lots of laughs and mostly lots of love, they loved us both and loved our relationship and a new friendship would flourish, and to this day has grown.  We don't as often have our dinners at the dog, but this weekend brings me back to those days.  We share this experience with 3 little monkey's who are now the adorned ones in the house (all 5 grandchildren are).  It is even more fun because they love these kids like we love these kids so we share in our love of the babies, and seeing my husband see what he has given his parents is priceless!
So, I do miss my home and I love our family life at home but taking a break and spending time at the Yellow Dog is such a gift (also known as "The Bumpa's").   Even thou the term "in law" makes it like an arrangement, I would have hand picked this family for me, my husband's sister and her family and my Gramma and Bumpa, I am blessed and am a better person because of them.  I would call it "In Love"!
It's HIPP to be HIPP!

0 comments:

Post a Comment