The Gift of Generations

Sunday, March 14, 2010

I received a call yesterday to learn that my grandmother passed away, I was going to see her the very same day, she was 99 years old.  Although it was sad news to hear, we are celebrating her life.  I am reflecting this morning as I prepare to write her Remembrance, on the incredible woman she was.  She was so funny and knew more about pop culture than I did.  She was a strong woman, beautiful, caring, smart, faithful and a joy to be around!   This is my mom's mom, I think about how blessed Grammy was to have my mom care for her for years and years.  They had a special friendship and mom took Grammy to every appointment, every store, and kept care of her in person or by phone on a daily basis.   The past few years, mom has not been able to do as much and in comes my sister Susan.   Two years ago, Grammy was not able to live alone anymore and Susan took her into her home and took over for my mom, caring for Grammy, preparing meals, and making her feel at home.   Grammy again, is blessed with a granddaughter to care for her and surround her with family and love.  I think about the years of relationship between Grammy and her girls (Mom and us girls).  Many lunches and dinners together, laughing, talking about current events and also what it was like in the old days.  I was able to participate in some of them but living 1 1/2 hours away, not as much as I would like to have.  My sisters have had the many opportunities to spend time with Grammy and when I think about all the generations gathered around a table for breakfast, lunch or dinner, it makes me smile and grateful for family and sisterhood and daughters and mothers and grandmothers.  It may be too late for you, perhaps your grandmother is no longer living, but perhaps your mom is....  Go have lunch, and create this generational, communal way of getting around a table to break bread, to connect, have conversation and feel the true joy of family and generations.  Rest in Peace Grammy, I hope I grow up to be as beautiful as you!  Have a HIPP day moms and call your mom, Gramma, sisters and daughters and tell them you love them!

0 comments:

Post a Comment