Structure!

Saturday, April 10, 2010

I have been putting off coming up with some more structure for my kids.  Overall, we have a pretty predictable schedule, depending on the day, but the routine is much of the same.  I sometimes lose energy to enforce it and things slip!  Sometimes it is easier to just let them do their own thing then to stick to the rules, etc....   As a mom, I don't want to be ridgid, that is no fun.  But, as a mom it is my job to provide structure to provide rules and to provide guidance.  My husband Charlie and I are on the same page overall in our philosophy of parenting but he is way too easy going on so many things.  Obviously, this is good for the kids because he is so much fun with them, I really do believe my kids have the best dad on the planet.  I must admit that I can get annoyed at times.  For example, he will feed them junk, he does it as a reward and for some reason feels he should do it OFTEN!  I will always challenge him and ask, is it good for their bodies.  Trust me, I want my kids to have fun and they should have junk (but in moderation).  Likewise, the rules of bed time are being bent too much lately and I am putting my foot down!  He will say "let them stay up and watch American Idol".  I feel it is my job as a parent to get them in bed at a decent bed time because they will be that much more alert the next day in school, etc....   So, I am giving some thought to putting more emphasis on structure, and I know what child in particular is in need of it.  As much as my kids give me a hard time, I do think they feel safety and security in our home and knowing that we have a routine in place and consistent guidance from their mom.  While we don't always have energy to enforce, HIPP moms know a routine and structure set the framework to live a healthy family centered life.
Have a HIPP day and be sure to chart of course too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment