The Television Debate!

Monday, October 4, 2010

When I first became a mom, I would read parenting magazines and books and they would always talk about limiting TV for kids.  I embraced this and would limit the amount of time my kids would zone out in front of the television.   I never gave it up, I can't understand how parents give it up 100% (especially with little ones), for me, television time (or as we would refer to "a show"), would be my time to clean the kitchen after meals, take a shower, or tame the craziness in the house and getting the kids to settle down.  I would limit it to no more than 1 hour a day--unless they were watching a movie.  It has brought me sanity over the years, and has been a soothing distraction for my kids.  So, in moderation, I think tv is great for all of us, a time to chill, as long as we can relax in other ways.

Two weeks ago we created a new house rule, NO TV during the week (only on weekends)!  The kids were not happy about it, but I must admit, I love it!   It is to me more calm and peaceful, as much as tv can be good, it also can be a noisy interruption in the home.  I am not against it, but for the week, I believe it sets a good standard to hang out, talk, do homework, play piano, read a book, etc...  On the weekend, they can chill and watch some of their favorite shows.  

So, as far as television, there are no right or wrongs, I do think limiting it is important, but I also believe it is okay to watch, many of the shows I watched as a kid, were part of my culture and part of being a kid!

Tune into what your family needs and if you are not sure, try it out for a week.  They might fight you but once they get use to it, the battle is over!

Turn it off, and see what you can turn on!  Have a HIPP and extraordinary day!

0 comments:

Post a Comment